What is rhinoplasty or nose surgery?
It is one of the most widespread and oldest plastic surgeries (first performed in 1000 BC) in the world.
It represents a whole section of reconstructive surgery which combines methods of surgical correction of the shape and size of the nose by replacing congenital or acquired defects in this part of the face with bone-cartilage tissue taken from the patient.
Nasal surgery transforms the patient and is considered to be one of the most effective methods of changing the appearance.
Types and indications for
The nose is an organ of smell, which has a very complex anatomical structure. Surgical correction of this part of the body is considered one of the most difficult plastic surgeries in the world, since the doctor must not only change its appearance, but also preserve its functionality (in some cases, such a procedure leads to a curvature ofthe osteochondral septum, causes nasal breathing difficulties or loss of smell). Therefore, before performing it, surgeons recommend their clients to think carefully and answer the question of whether it is worth doing rhinoplasty or not (except in cases where the irregular shape of the nosecauses breathing problems and can cause oxygen deprivation of the brain). The optimal age for leading is 20-30 years, but in case of respiratory problems or after serious physical injuries, it is carried out earlier.
- disproportionate size of the respiratory organ compared to the entire face;
- hypertrophy of the turbinates;
- injuries or deformities of bone or cartilage tissue in the area of the osteochondral septum, its curvature;
- nasal tip asymmetric, forked or too raised;
- lack or difficulty in breathing;
- dissatisfaction with the result of previous plastics.
There are several types of rhinoplasty, which are classified according to the purpose and technique of the procedure:
- plastic nasal nozzle - a method of surgical correction of the shape or elimination of asymmetry (bifurcation) of the nasal nozzle;
- transplant (autotransplantation) - during the procedure, the doctor enlarges and, if necessary, lengthens an undersized nose by transplanting cartilage tissue taken from the region of the atrium;
- reduce - a method of surgical intervention, which is aimed at correcting the shape and size of the turbinates;
- back alignment - removal of the bump at the back of the nose;
- septoplasty - a surgical method to correct a deviated nasal septum;
- augmentation - a surgical method of correcting the shape of the bridge of the nose in order to eliminate the "flattening" effect;
- non-surgical rhinoplasty - non-surgical correction of the shape, size and proportionality of the nose by injection of fillers (nasal contour plasty), the use of resorbable hormonal drugs that destroy bone-cartilage tissue in the septumnasal, or using Fils Aptos (lifting wire of the wings and tip of the nose).
How is the preparation for the operation going?
Before the procedure, the patient should consult a plastic surgeon who will take measurements of the respiratory organ, determine the amount of work to be performed, simulate the alleged result of the operation on a computer using a special program (computer modeling helps the doctor to better understand the client's wishes) and write a referral for the following tests:
- general and clinical blood test;
- electrocardiogram (with decoding);
- testing for AIDS, HIV or hepatitis;
- tomography of the paranasal sinuses.
Two weeks before the procedure, you should stop smoking and stop taking blood thinners. No food or drink is allowed 12 hours before the operation (a light dinner is allowed the day before).
Before the procedure, doctors recommend getting good rest and sleep (this will help calm the nervous system).
Technique according to the method
Immediately before the procedure, the client signs an agreement with the plastic surgery clinic, which contains their consent to the surgery, the cost of the procedure and its type, the name and surname of the anesthesiologist and plastic surgeon, and theinformation that the patient is familiar with the possibility of developing postoperative complications and their methods of treatment. After that, the person is taken to the operating theater, the face is cleaned with lotion, the piercing is removed (if any) and, if necessary, preoperative marking is carried out with a special marker. The operation is performed under general intravenous or endotracheal anesthesia and lasts 1 to 2 hours.
There are two methods of performing rhinoplasty: open and closed.
Open rhinoplasty is a procedure in which the doctor makes an incision in the columella (the part of the skin between the nasal openings), corrects the shape of the nasal structures, and finally places several cosmetic spots on the skin. This method of surgical intervention is used to correct severe injuries and deformities of the nasal cavity, and to rebuild bone and cartilage tissue using autografts.
Closed rhinoplasty is a procedure in which the surgeon makes an incision inside the nasal cavity, separates the soft tissue from the osteochondral framework, performs a series of surgeries to change the shape of the nose, and then sutures the membrane. mucosa with a self-absorbing suture. Equipment. A less traumatic method of plastic surgery, after which complications rarely occur and scarring remains.
After an unsuccessful first operation or in the event of a result that does not suit the client, the doctors perform a second (secondary) rhinoplasty. This is a more complex procedure (technically) that requires certain skills and practical experience on the part of the surgeon, it is performed under general anesthesia and requires the same preparation as the primary plastic. It is performed no earlier than one year after the previous surgery.
Recovery period and results
The rehabilitation period lasts 3-4 weeks, but the patient spends a day in the hospital. Immediately after the operation, a tampon is inserted into each nostril, which the surgeon removes after three days, and a cast is applied to the nose (it is removed after ten days). After removing the tampons, the doctor prescribes drops to the patient in order to remove postoperative edema and accelerate the healing of soft tissues. The swelling and bruising goes away completely after 1. 5-2 months. The preliminary result is evaluated after 6-8 months, the final result - after 12. The scars after rhinoplasty are visible for the first three months, then they become almost invisible.
- two weeks after the surgical correction, you need to sleep on your back;
- during the first weeks you can not visit the sauna, swimming pool, solarium, gym and engage in heavy physical labor;
- until the postoperative wounds are completely healed, you can eat only hot food and drink hot drinks;
- You can not wear glasses for 2-3 months after the procedure;
- during the entire recovery period, you should not smoke.
Results of rhinoplasty or nose surgery: before and after photos
Possible complications and contraindications
Contraindications for the realization:
- runny nose;
- influenza, SARS;
- active herpes;
- atrophic rhinitis;
- infectious diseases of the oral cavity;
- mental disorders;
- heart and kidney problems.
Rhinoplasty is called one of the most difficult plastic surgeries in the world, in which the surgeon often removes not one, but several cosmetic defects at once, therefore it is associated with the development of a number of possible complications. :
- postoperative pigmentation;
- soft tissue swelling and hematoma;
- loss of smell;
- the appearance of keloid scars;
- difficulty in breathing;
- curvature of the nasal septum.
What operations can we combine with?
Most often, nasal plasticity is combined with septoplasty - surgical correction of the nasal septum (this procedure is sometimes called septorhinoplasty), cheiloplasty (change in the shape and volume of the lips) and mammoplasty - plastic surgery aimed at correctingthe shape and size of the breast (in the latter case, two doctors are present at the operation, one of whom performs rhinoplasty, and the other of breast plastic surgery).
Estimated prices for rhinoplasty (nose job)
A plastic surgeon provides accurate information on the cost of nose surgery. The cost of rhinoplasty includes the prior consultation, hospitalization, computer simulation of the results, removal of tampons and removal of the dressing. The price of the procedure depends on the type and method of surgery.
Rhinoplasty is an operation that is equally popular with women and men. It helps people get rid of health problems, improve the appearance and proportions of the face.