If you are planning to undergo rhinoplasty, you should definitely familiarize yourself with all the nuances of its implementation. This is a fairly popular procedure today, which involves correcting the defects of the nose.
The nose is a fairly complex organ that is responsible for several functions in the body at once. The main ones are keen sense of smell and correct breathing. An important role in appearance is played by the location of the nose - in the center of the face, in which it is difficult to hide visual imperfections of the organ.
If you want to change the shape of your nose, the words "failed rhinoplasty" sound intimidating and there are many questions about the operation and the recovery period. In this article, we will try to explain as much as possible the possible causes of rhinoplasty failure and how to avoid it.
How to understand that rhinoplasty of the nose is a failure
It is easy to guess that with a successful operation you get the desired result and a minimum of complications. An unsuccessful rhinoplasty is characterized by the presence of serious complications that affect the normal functioning of the patient. And, therefore, the result of the operation does not coincide with the expected one.
How to tell the difference between a failed rhinoplasty:
- pain at the operation site does not go away for a long time;
- strong pigmentation is visible on the skin;
- the shape of the nose is asymmetrical, the point sinks in;
- there is no possibility to breathe fully;
- swelling that lasts a long time;
- lack of smell for more than three months;
- the presence of visible scars and scars on the nose.
The whole list of complications can arise after rhinoplasty, but they should definitely go away after a while.
To note! Full recovery after surgery requires at least six months. It is only after the expiration of this period that it is possible to judge the results of the operation.
Around the world, rhinoplasty is considered a surgery that carries risks of side effects. Complications arising from the placement of implants used for reconstruction of the nasal structure are no exception.
Rejection of tissues causes cyst formation, atrophy, fibrosis. The most dangerous for the body are infections which can lead to life-threatening anaphylactic shock. The result immediately after surgery and after 6 months may not always be the same.
Reasons for unsuccessful rhinoplasty surgeries
Although an operation as complex as rhinoplasty has been performed for over a year, no specialist can guarantee an absolute result to the end. What are the reasons :
- A plastic surgeon cannot accurately predict the outcome of rhinoplasty because each organism behaves individually. Everyone can be healed in different ways: blood vessels, nerves, nasal bones, cartilage, mucous membrane;
- The result after surgery may change after a year.
- Rehabilitation after rhinoplasty also has an individual character, so you should be constantly under the supervision of your doctor.
The first reaction after failed surgery is to blame the doctor. But we recommend that you find out what the reason is: a doctor's mistake or a reaction from the body.
A plastic surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty should definitely notice any complications that have occurred and respond to them in time.
The doctor's mistakes
- During a rhinoplasty of the bump of the nose, if the surgeon does not perform the operation correctly, depression may appear on the nose;
- During the operation, exfoliation of the skin may occur, it is fraught with tissue necrosis;
- If the doctor removes too much cartilage or bone tissue from the nose, the organ will not look natural;
- During the operation, the doctor changed the size of the wings of the nose. It is a dangerous complication of nasal breathing. During inspiration, the nostrils stick together;
- If the doctor made the wrong measurements before the rhinoplasty, you may have an asymmetrical nose after the operation.
How to avoid unsuccessful rhinoplasty?
First of all, it is worth considering with the utmost responsibility the choice of clinic and plastic surgeon in whom you are planning to undergo rhinoplasty.
Choice criteria :
- Discover the real reviews of the operated patients on the hospital and the doctor;
- The low cost of the operation is no reason to go to this clinic. On the contrary, it serves as a signal on the inexperience of the doctor, or on the lack of material necessary for the operation. But the obviously too high price is a reason to take a closer look at the clinic.
- Beautiful before and after rhinoplasty photos and colorful reviews are no reason to choose this particular doctor;
- Study the condition of the clinic you have chosen. Availability of modern equipment, employee qualification is required;
- Please note that it is quite difficult to get a qualified and demanded doctor. Some plastic surgeons have an appointment a year in advance;
- The extensive experience of the doctor minimizes unpleasant consequences after the operation;
- Read the experience of unsuccessful rhinoplasty on the forum. This will help you analyze the mistakes that others have made.
- Take a closer look at the doctor, his way of communicating, his approach to work. This will make it possible to assess their level of literacy and professionalism;
- Ideally, it will be to choose a clinic and a doctor, who have already operated on a true friend of yours.
- The psychological preparation of the patient is of great importance. Remember, having a whole new nose is unrealistic. Sometimes the expectation of the outcome can be too high and the disappointment can be bitter.
- Before rhinoplasty, it is necessary to carry out a complete examination of the body, and to pass all the necessary tests to avoid the risk of complications;
- Remember that there should be no secrets between doctor and patient, your health directly depends on it. Be sure to tell your doctor about recent and chronic illnesses;
- A great risk of unsuccessful rhinoplasty is caused by the patient's non-compliance with the doctor's prescriptions before and after the operation.
Computer simulation method
The technique doesn't stop, and today there is a great way to see and predict future results. The computer modeling technique will help you to try out different nose shapes in order to find an acceptable option. Ideally, your nose should look like the following image during modeling. But this procedure does not give a 100% guarantee that the operation will be successful. The result mainly depends on the individual characteristics of the patient and the qualifications of the plastic surgeon.
When rhinoplasty is prohibited
In some cases, the operation is strictly prohibited. Violation of the recommendations can lead to serious problems during the procedure and during the rehabilitation period.
Here are the main contraindications to driving:
- inflammatory and infectious diseases;
- age under 18;
- kidney and liver disease;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- inflammatory process on the skin in the nasal area.
All prohibitions should be discussed with your doctor on an individual basis.
What to do after a failed rhinoplasty
Before going to the operation, you will need to read and sign the documents, which will indicate all the possible options for an unfavorable outcome of the procedure. After rhinoplasty, the first person you will contact is your plastic surgeon. A competent and qualified specialist, in any case, will try to solve the problem peacefully. In the event of unsuccessful rhinoplasty, two people are responsible: the doctor and the patient. The operated person must strictly follow all the doctor's recommendations after the operation. If the doctor is responsible for the failure of the operation, the clinic is obliged to return the money. To make a return, you must contact special services that will protect your rights.
How to hold a doctor accountable
If it was still not possible to solve the problem peacefully, and the doctor refused to contact you, it is necessary to write a complaint in which all the requirements are described. After that, the clinic in which the operation was performed is obliged to respond to you in writing.
If there is no response to your letter, either written or oral, do not hesitate to go to court. Any self-respecting clinic will certainly respond to your complaint, because its status with customers depends directly on it. However, be prepared for a long trial. During the investigation, an independent expert will be involved, after which the decision of the police will be taken.
How to behave correctly before and after rhinoplasty
Violation of the doctor's prescriptions for the operation, and inappropriate behavior afterwards, can undermine all the surgeon's efforts.
In preparation for rhinoplasty, you should:
- completely give up bad habits, such as alcohol and smoking, they can cause poor tissue healing;
- it is forbidden to take drugs that affect blood clotting in order to avoid bleeding after surgery;
- after rhinoplasty, you can not go to the solarium, sauna, in order to avoid spikes in blood pressure;
- all physical activity is prohibited, especially those in which it is necessary to tilt the head;
- sleep is recommended on a high pillow or with a raised headboard. This will help reduce swelling and prevent deformation of the nose;
- in the month following rhinoplasty, it is not recommended to consume drinks and dishes that are too cold or hot;
- for 2 weeks you need to wear a special plaster, which serves as a frame for the nose during the healing period;
- it is forbidden to wear glasses during the rehabilitation period, they can deform the tissues. If necessary, you should use contact lenses;
- you should not plan to become pregnant for a year after rhinoplasty;
- Avoid blowing your nose for 2 months after surgery. To clean the nose, you should use the sprays prescribed by your doctor. Vaseline or peach oil will also help hydrate.
Before rhinoplasty, it is very important to choose an experienced doctor, a highly specialized clinic, and get acquainted with the real opinions of patients. However, the patient is also not relieved of his responsibility: it is important to provide honest information about your health, to pass all the necessary tests and to follow the recommendations of the doctors. But, even if all these conditions are met, the risk of negative consequences is not excluded.
When to see a doctor for a correction
All complications after unsuccessful rhinoplasty are classically divided into aesthetic and functional. Basically, for a second rhinoplasty, they apply if there is pain in the nose, low tenderness, and trouble with nasal breathing. The aesthetic appearance of the nose can be spoiled by asymmetry and deformation.
The main indicators for the appointment of a second operation:
- Excessive or insufficient correction of the initial defect of the nose, in which its functionality was impaired;
- Violation of the integrity of the cartilage and bone structure, leading to the formation of scars and adhesions.
Reconstruction of the nose after unsuccessful rhinoplasty
If you decide to correct your nose with the same doctor who performs rhinoplasty, you should consult him and know the reasons for the complications that have arisen. Then you need to develop a specific plan to carry out the recovery activities.
How long can a second rhinoplasty be performed, the doctor decides. Please note that the rehabilitation period lasts quite a long time, up to six months.
Postoperative recovery methods
There are several options for correcting an unsuccessful rhinoplasty. Which one is right for you depends on the degree of complication and individual characteristics.
- Rhinoplasty of the nose with fillers- the softest way that will help make the shape more symmetrical. This correction refers to non-surgical rhinoplasty. Also allows to correct the shape of the nose, to smooth the skin. However, the biggest drawback of this method of correction is the short-term effect. Most likely, in a year or less you will have to repeat this procedure.
- If any blemishes are clearly visible on your face after the operation, you should turn to the methodcorrective rhinoplasty. . . Today, this is the most common way to correct unsuccessful rhinoplasty. After the operation, an unexpected result is possible, because no one knows exactly how your body will behave after the operation. Corrective rhinoplasty is aimed at correcting minor defects, improving respiratory function, removing scars and scars.
- Revision rhinoplasty. . . This is a radical way to correct the consequences of the first operation. An operation in its own right, rightly considered to be more complex than the previous one. This procedure is used to correct the most serious cases. However, one should not expect miracles from revision rhinoplasty, since its main purpose is to correct the consequences that affect the normal life of the patient.
There are many options for correcting an unsuccessful transaction. Your main task is to react to complications in time and consult a doctor. Due to the fact that rhinoplasty has recently gained in popularity, the possibilities of correcting an unsuccessful procedure are also developing.
There are cases of inadequate patient dissatisfaction after surgery. It should be remembered that the final result will be clear only at the end of the rehabilitation period, which lasts at least a year. It is only after the required period has passed that the result of rhinoplasty can be fully evaluated. You have to adapt to the new nose, get used to the change in appearance. In the event of functional changes, reoperation is possible at the earliest one year later.
Opinions about unsuccessful rhinoplasty
"It took me a long time to decide on a nasal rhinoplasty. I have a congenital lump on my nose which pretty much ruined my nerves as a teenager. Then it seemed to me that I had reconciled with her, but the thought of the operation haunted me. I chose a clinic in our city and decided to drastically correct the bump in the nose - with an operation. However, a nasty surprise awaited me after the operation, the lump of course disappeared, but a depression formed in its place. It seems to be small, but why do I need it. The surgeon assured me that during rehabilitation, everything would stabilize. But 2 months passed and the depression remained. I panicked and went online. It turned out that I was not the only one, and an error occurred during the operation. I'm at the clinic, since they made concessions to me. I made a second correction, this time with another doctor, and the depression was gone. It was possible to shake their nerves, of course, and carry on, but I just didn't have time to do it. "
Failed rhinoplasty before and after photos
Finally, we suggest you take a look at the photo of failed noses after rhinoplasty. And once again we urge, with all responsibility, to approach the choice of a clinic and doctor for rhinoplasty. And then the risk of complications will be reduced to zero.